Acer Chosen for Chile Education Ministry’s “I Select My PC” Program for Fourth Consecutive Year
Acer America today announced that it has been selected again by the Junta Nacional de Auxilio Escolar y Becas (JUNAEB) in collaboration with the Chile Education Ministry’s “I Select My PC” program to be a key provider of up to 60,000 PCs to outstanding students from economically vulnerable schools.
Acer was the only provider that classified in all four PC categories for 2014 due to its outstanding track record in this program, strong offerings across a range of PC types, product quality, competitive value, and local service and support. “I Select My PC” has been offered to students from vulnerable socio-economic segments in Chile since 2008 and was designed to bridge the digital divide and provide these students with new opportunities. This is Acer’s fourth year of providing PCs for this program, and its products were selected by nearly 75 percent of participating students for 2014.
“It is Acer’s fourth consecutive year participating in ‘I Select My PC’ and we’re so proud of the great results we’ve seen from the students who have been touched by this wonderful program,” said Emmanuel Fromont, president of Acer Pan America. “This program gives deserving students access to technology, which in turn gives them great new opportunities and significantly enhances their lives.”
“I Select My PC” program recipients are selected from 40 percent of the most vulnerable schools in Chile, and the awards are based on these students’ outstanding academic capabilities and future leadership potential. Once selected, the students are free to decide what type of computer and brand they prefer, with the program offering one or two brands per category. The PCs are fully funded by the JUNAEB and Chile Education Ministry, with the chosen students paying nothing to participate.
The selected students will receive their Acer PC starting in March, 2015. They are able to choose an Acer model that best fit their needs from the following four categories:
- Ultraportable: The Acer Aspire ES1-311 Ultraportable is sleek and lightweight at just 1.5kg and 20mm thin, yet boasts a high-performance Intel Pentium Quad Core N3540 processor and a 13.3-inch display.
- Graphic: The Acer Aspire E5-515G features 1GB of dedicated Nvidia graphics for handling intensive video requirements. It also features an Intel Pentium Quad Core N3540 processor and a large 15.6-inch display.
- Convertible: The Acer Aspire R3-431T features a unique dual-torque hinge that enables students to use it in notebook, pad, display and tent modes for a user-friendly experience. It features a 14-inch touch screen and Intel 2981U dual-core processor.
- AIO: The Acer Aspire AZC-602 AIO combines the power of a desktop PC with a large 18.5-inch display in one simple device. It includes an Intel dual-core processor and a DVD-RW drive for burning disks with data, images and video.
All four of these products come with 4GB of memory(1), a 500GB hard drive(1), a variety of ports, a backpack, as well as a webcam and microphone for online chats and video recording. They also have integrated Wifi and include one year of unlimited internet access(2) so students can easily communicate and conduct research online.
Maximizing productivity, they all come loaded with Windows 8.1 SL, Office 2013 Pro Academic and Acer’s unique AcerCloud application. AcerCloud enables students to automatically sync and backup their data from their new notebook PC across multiple devices such as smartphones and tablets, as well as to the cloud for easy sharing and security.
Acer and Netnow are also offering 1-year of on-site service with each PC to keep students up and running in case of any technical issues.
1.Accessible capacity varies: (MB = 1 million bytes; GB = 1 billion bytes). User-available storage subject to change based on system software and application usage.
2. Internet access provided to students by MOVISTA. Internet access: Unlimited data for 12 months 756kb download / 256kb upload