Acer Debuts Aspire M5 Ultrabooks with Touch and All-Day Battery Life
San Jose, CA
- Acer’s new line of M Series Ultrabooks with Windows® 8 are offered exclusively in Best Buy stores throughout the United States.
- Aspire M5-481PT equipped with a 10 point multi-touch display, allows users to efficiently open and close programs, browse online, and breeze through applications using a simple touch.
- 8-hour battery life ensures a full day of computing on the go1.
- Housed in sleek metal chassis made of aluminum alloy or magnesium alloy, the M Series Ultrabooks also feature back-lit keyboards.
- Setting a new standard in Ultrabook performance, the Aspire M5 Series includes 3rd Generation Intel® Core processors, optical drives, and 14- and 15.6-inch displays.
Acer America today announced the Aspire M5 series of Ultrabooks, available exclusively at Best Buy stores in the United States. Featuring Windows® 8, the slim and stylish Aspire M5 series combines the portability of an Ultrabook with powerful performance, 8-hour battery life and outstanding value. Select models also include 10 point touch for easily navigating digital media and Windows 8 touch apps.
“Many consumers desire the mobility of an Ultrabook, but still require the larger displays, optical drives, all-day battery life and value offered in a more mainstream notebook PC,” said Scott Ledterman, vice president of retail sales, Acer America. “The Aspire M5 series delivers that perfect combination of portability and performance for mainstream consumers, and goes a step further with premium features like touch input. We are delighted that Best Buy will offer the M Series line exclusively to their customers this holiday season.”
Premium Touch Interaction
Offering consumers a premium Windows 8 touch experience in a traditional clamshell notebook design, the 14-inch Aspire M5-481PT’s features a 10 point multi-touch display, allowing users to efficiently open and close programs, browse online, and breeze through applications using nothing more than a simple touch. The Aspire M5-481PT features a vivid HD display with a frameless, edge-to-edge design, which provides a larger viewing area for the Ultrabook’s intelligent multi-touch interface.
The combination of a touch display and Windows 8 creates a faster and more fluid working environment. Users can quickly zoom in or out to customize their screen view, swipe in and out of applications and commands, or scroll, flick, pinch and rotate motions to accomplish tasks more quickly.
Robust yet Thin and Light
At less than one inch thin, the slender profile of the Aspire M5 Ultrabook series delivers a minimalist and modern look. The 14-inch Aspire M5-481PT comes dressed in an elegant silver cover made of aluminum alloy, while the 15.6-inch Aspire M5-581T non-touch configuration is housed in a dark gray magnesium alloy cover, both which add to the systems’ overall sturdiness. The Aspire M5-481PT is just 4.6 pounds, while the M5-581T is about 5 pounds, keeping the Ultrabooks light enough to tote all day.
These no-compromise Ultrabooks provide up to 8 hours of computing on a single charge via the PowerSmart long-life battery pack, which provides up to three times longer battery life cycles than traditional batteries (1,000 vs. 300 cycles)2. These batteries also maintain 80 percent capacity after the 1,000 cycle count, which means the battery will last longer, reducing the need to replace it. In addition, advanced thermal technology keeps users comfortable even when the Aspire M5 Ultrabook is placed on a lap.
Featuring the innovative “Acer Green Instant On” and “Acer Always Connect” technologies, users can manage their multimedia and data on all their Ultrabooks at anytime, anywhere.
- Green Instant On resumes the Aspire M5’s computing session from sleep in less than 2 seconds and from deep sleep in 6 seconds1; the 20GB SSD drive returns to the PC’s state just as it was left. Turn the PC back on, and any websites, emails or documents that were left open are instantly restored and ready.
- Always Connect connects to the web in 2.5 seconds4 by remembering previously used Wi-Fi spots. When they come within range again, the Aspire M5 instantly connects to the Internet, so consumers can immediately access instant messaging, Internet services and email after the system resumes.
AcerCloud technology gives users cloud storage with wireless access to manage photos, music, videos and documents, making it easy to manage and enjoy media from all their devices anywhere.
Ultra-Responsive Performance and Enhanced Features
The Aspire M5-481PT and M5-581T Ultrabooks are equipped with 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processors with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0. A 500GB hard disk drive5 offers plenty of space for large files, while a 20GB integrated solid state drive enables instant-on capability.
Featuring two USB 3.0 ports, consumers can charge external devices when the Aspire M5 Ultrabook is in sleep, hibernation or even when it’s turned off. Transfer speeds will be up to 10 times faster than older generations of USB6.
Backlit keyboards make it easy to game or type in low light conditions, while the professionally-tuned Dolby® Home Theater® v4 and premium speakers deliver high volume, clear dialogue and crisp sound effects for games, music and movies.
While still maintaining a thin and light design, the Aspire M5 Series features a built-in optical drive, allowing consumers to burn file copies of their data for safekeeping, or pop in a disk to enjoy movies or music. An HDMI port allows for easy connection to a big screen TV or monitor.
All models in the Aspire M5 Series also include Acer AntiTheft, a free software based solution. When enabled, the Ultrabook recognizes the distance from a designated WiFi signal source, and if the system moves beyond 10 feet of the signal, a loud siren will sound from the Ultrabook’s speakers. This feature can easily be enabled and disabled, and will be especially useful when traveling.
Pricing and Availability
The Acer Aspire M5 Series of Ultrabooks will be available at Best Buy stores across the U.S. on Oct. 26. Prices for the Aspire M5-481PT featuring Windows 8 and touch support begin at $799.99, while the 15.6-inch Aspire M5-581T configurations begin at $699.99.
Since its founding in 1976, Acer has broken barriers between people and technology, enabling users to explore, create and grow. Acer ranks No. 2 for notebook PCs globally (Gartner data 2011). The Acer Group employs 8,000 people across the globe, and revenues for 2011 reached US$15.7 billion. Acer's channel business model is instrumental to the company's success, while its multi-brand approach integrates Acer, Gateway, and Packard Bell brands in worldwide markets. Acer designs environmentally friendly products and, with its vendors, has established a green supply chain. Acer is proud to be a Worldwide Partner of the Olympic Movement. That includes supporting the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games and London 2012 Olympic Games. More information is at www.acer-group.com.
© 2012 Acer America Corp. All rights reserved. Acer and the Acer logo are registered trademarks of Acer Inc. Other trademarks, registered trademarks, and/or service marks, indicated or otherwise, are the property of their respective owners. All offers subject to change without notice or obligation and may not be available through all sales channels. Prices listed are manufacturer suggested retail prices and may vary by location. Applicable sales tax extra.
- Up to 8 hours battery life. Battery life varies depending on product specifications, computer settings and applications or features launched. All batteries' maximum capacity diminishes with time and use.
- Based on MobileMark® 2007 productivity mode testing with wireless on. Details of MobileMark 2007 testing are available at www.bapco.com. Battery life rating is for comparison purposes only. Actual battery life varies depending on product specifications, computer settings and application or features launched. All batteries' maximum capacity diminishes with time and use.
- Time based on testing with the following applications open: Internet Explorer® 9 (Internet search and email web pages), PowerPoint® viewer (file size 68 MB) and Excel® (file size 108 MB) of Microsoft® Office® 2010 Starter, and logged in to Windows Live® Messenger 2011.
- In about 2.5 seconds with previously used access points. Time based on testing with the following applications open – Internet Explorer 9® (Internet search and email web pages), Powerpoint® viewer (file size 68MB) and Excel® (file size 10MB) of Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter –and with the computer logged into Windows Live® Messenger 2011.
- Accessible capacity varies: (MB = 1 million bytes; GB = 1 billion bytes).
- USB 3.0 is capable of transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps (gigabits per second), a little over 10 times faster than USB 2.0's 480Mbps (1,000Mbps equals 1Gbps). Mileage may vary depending on hardware configuration, but it will always be much faster than USB 2.0.